Sunday, May 24, 2015

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

God does move in a mysterious way :) ...and today He knew I was searching for direction and peace.  I found it.  In music!  I was particularly touched and inspired by these hymns today:

God Moves in a Mysterious Way - I don't remember ever singing this song before; I'm sure I have at some point, but today it was a perfect reminder and blessing.  There is so much in life that can seem confusing and counterproductive even, but our Heavenly Father has a plan, a great purpose and He is constantly working to bring it to pass, in large and small ways, and for each of us individually.  We must trust Him.

"God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants his footsteps in the sea 
And rides upon the storm. 

Ye fearful Saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break 
In blessings on your head. 

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding ev'ry hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste, 
But sweet will be the flower. 

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan his works in vain;
God is his own interpreter, 
And he will make it plain."


The scriptures referenced in the hymnbook are also sweet and instructive: Psalms 107:23-31 and Romans 8:28.

O Love that Glorifies the Son - We can and must pray for God's love to fill us...today.  :)  It is that love that makes our lives complete.


"O love that glorifies the Son,
O love that says, "Thy will be done!"
Pure love whose spirit makes us one-- 
(Chorus) 
Come, fill my soul today; 
Come, fill my soul today. 

O love that binds our family,
O love that brings my heart to thee,
Pure love that lasts eternally-- 

O love that overcomes defeat,
O love that turns the bitter sweet,
Pure love that makes our lives complete-- 

O Lord, give me the will to mend;
O Lord, change me from foe to friend;
Dear Lord, sustain me to the end--"


As I Search the Holy Scriptures - The scriptures are such an important place to find direction.  I know that life's mysteries are unfolded, my heart is blessed with wisdom, my unseen wounds are healed, and His life shows me the way as I study day by day.  :)

"As I search the holy scriptures,
Loving Father of mankind,
May my heart be blessed with wisdom, 
And may knowledge fill my mind. 

As I search the holy scriptures,
Touch my spirit, Lord, I pray.
May life's myst'ries be unfolded 
As I study day by day. 

As I search the holy scriptures,
May thy mercy be revealed.
Soothe my troubled heart and spirit; 
May my unseen wounds be healed. 

As I search the holy scriptures,
Help me ponder and obey.
In thy word is life eternal; 
May thy light show me the way."

How Great the Wisdom and the Love - I love this song!  I love our Savior!  I'm so grateful for His love, His life, and His sacrifice that make it possible for us to return to Him and our Heavenly Father.  How great, how glorious, how divine!!

"How great the wisdom and the love
That filled the courts on high
And sent the Savior from above 
To suffer, bleed, and die! 

His precious blood he freely spilt;
His life he freely gave,
A sinless sacrifice for guilt, 
A dying world to save. 

By strict obedience Jesus won
The prize with glory rife:
"Thy will, O God, not mine be done," 
Adorned his mortal life. 

He marked the path and led the way,
And ev'ry point defines
To light and life and endless day 
Where God's full presence shines. 

In mem'ry of the broken flesh
We eat the broken bread
And witness with the cup, afresh, 
Our faith in Christ, our Head. 

How great, how glorious, how complete
Redemption's grand design,
Where justice, love, and mercy meet
In harmony divine!"

For added meaning this song and the next one can be studied with two wonderful talks from the recent April 2015 General Conference - Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and The Gift of Grace by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

How Gentle God's Commands - This song has brought me peace many times, quite profoundly, and again today!  I know that we are under His watchful care.  He guards us and guides us and offers relief when we come to Him with our loads.

"How gentle God's commands!
How kind his precepts are! 
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord 
And trust his constant care. 

Beneath his watchful eye,
His Saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up 
Shall guard his children well. 

Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne 
And sweet refreshment find. 

His goodness stands approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I'll drop my burden at his feet 
And bear a song away."


Israel, Israel, God is Calling - I love this call from the Lord to us to come to Him and help build Zion, today.  What an exciting and wonderful time to be alive and great blessing to know of the Lord and to rejoice with His walls!  I love how in this version of the song it begins as a quite voice calling us to Him and grows to something powerful.  There is no greater call or purpose than to listen for and come to Him!

"Israel, Israel, God is calling,
Calling thee from lands of woe. 
Babylon the great is falling; 
God shall all her tow'rs o'erthrow. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion 
Ere his floods of anger flow. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion 
Ere his floods of anger flow. 

Israel, Israel, God is speaking.
Hear your great Deliv'rer's voice!
Now a glorious morn is breaking 
For the people of his choice. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion, 
And within her walls rejoice. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion, 
And within her walls rejoice. 

Israel, angels are descending
From celestial worlds on high,
And to man their pow'r extending, 
That the Saints may homeward fly. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion, 
For your coming Lord is nigh. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion, 
For your coming Lord is nigh. 

Israel! Israel! Canst thou linger
Still in error's gloomy ways?
Mark how judgment's pointing finger 
Justifies no vain delays. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion! 
Zion's walls shall ring with praise. 
Come to Zion, come to Zion! 
Zion's walls shall ring with praise."



America the Beautiful - I have loved this song since I was about six or seven when I could see Pike's Peak out my living room window (the "purple mountain majesty" that inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write this song).  Around that same age I remember my dad was putting together a slide show for the 4th of July set to this song.  I felt then the importance and blessing of our country, but I don't know that I've heard a more beautiful and timely rendition of this song than I did today in sacrament meeting:


"Oh, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

Oh, beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea."

No comments: