Day 1: Salt Lake City, UT to Lincoln, NE (890 miles)We drove 72 miles in Utah, 408 in Wyoming, 410 in Nebraska (and the last 243 miles were all through crazy thunderstorms and wind....after all that tense driving I was never so grateful for a hotel hot tub!). We saw license plates from CA, OR, WA, AZ, UT, ID, CO, GA, FL, NJ, WY, NE, OK, MT, MI, MO, TX, SC, IA, IL, OH, WI, MN, NY, and TN.
Day 2: Lincoln, NE to Keokuk, IA (438 miles)
We drove 59 miles in Nebraska, 332 miles in Iowa, and 47 miles in Illinois (for sightseeing in Carthage and Nauvoo). We added the following license plates to the list: IN, MD, AK, and MA. We also stopped at the Winter Quarters Temple and the Mormon Pioneer Cemetery in Omaha. We drove around Council Bluffs and through the Iowa cornfields in the rain most of the day. The hightlight was stopping for the tour and the Carthage Jail and exploring Nauvoo at dusk (driving along the Mississippi River, seeing the beautiful Nauvoo Temple, seeing Joseph's grave near the river, and stopping at Parley's Street).
Day 3: Keokuk, IA to Indianapolis, IN (335 miles)
We officially crossed the Mississippi River (to not go back this time). :) Then we stopped and went to the Nauvoo Temple. WONDERFUL experience!!! I learned so much being there. I could feel the spirit of the saints and their faith and sacrifice. The building felt like it was built by the pioneers as it was decorated in their styles and we were each greeted by members of the Temple Presidency as we came (I think as Joseph would have done when the church was smaller). :) We drove 2 miles in Iowa, 251 miles in Illinois, and 82 miles in Indiana (all on one tank of gas). :) We added a few more license plates to our list: NM, NV, and KY. We also got to see and stay with the Dockter Family. So fun! :)
Day 4: Indianapolis, IN to Arlington, VA (649 miles)
The last day was a long stretch, but beautiful country. We drove 90 miles in Indiana (35 of which were in the morning fog), 231 miles in Ohio, 58 miles in West Virginia, 55 miles in Pennsylvania, 174 miles in Maryland, and 41 miles in Virginia. We added the following license plates to the list: CT, VA, PA, VT, WV, DC, NC, DE, and AL. Besides the fog in Ohio and more cornfields we enjoyed the rolling hills of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. We crossed under the Appalachian Trail footbridge at one point in Maryland.
TOTALS
So, in our drive across the country, we drove a grand total of 2316 miles! :) We had lots of time to think, ponder, and enjoy the beauty of the country while driving to the nation's capital. We missed 10 license plates: ND, SD, HI, LA, AR, MS, KS, ME (unless you count trucks....there were several trucks from Maine), NH, and RI.
Some of my ponderings:
So, in our drive across the country, we drove a grand total of 2316 miles! :) We had lots of time to think, ponder, and enjoy the beauty of the country while driving to the nation's capital. We missed 10 license plates: ND, SD, HI, LA, AR, MS, KS, ME (unless you count trucks....there were several trucks from Maine), NH, and RI.
Some of my ponderings:
- I like to know where I'm going! Rain, fog, trees, winding roads, big trucks, etc....can be difficult. I like to see at least one step in front of me. :) ....in life too. :) I feel like often I don't see much more than that, but I know we learn to trust in the Lord as we have faith in His plan. I am grateful for His watchful care on the roads of life, literally (in the wind and rain and fog) and figuratively (in the decisions I make). I know He will lead us to the places we need to be.
- We are so blessed in this country with....nice interstates, food, laws, order, etc.
- We are so blessed in this country with....nice interstates, food, laws, order, etc.
- I LOVE my GPS! I have never been so grateful for a birthday present!! :)
- Life is about loving others, forgetting yourself, and trusting in Jesus.
- We must be obedient and be willing and ready to sacrifice. Blessings probably won't be immediate or in the way we think, but we will have what is best.
- We must be obedient and be willing and ready to sacrifice. Blessings probably won't be immediate or in the way we think, but we will have what is best.
- We must thrust in our sickles! :) The field is white. The time is now. :)
- Things don't matter. You really don't need much, but some reminders of home and who you are are definitely nice. :)
- You can learn a lot when you're forced to do things and figure things out on your own. You have the chance to learn things you never knew you could do. :) It's good to have a chance to grow and teach yourself (like driving all the way across the country and figuring out how to register your car, etc.).
- There are so many good people. We are never alone. :)
6 comments:
i always count trucks ;)
What an adventure!! Can't believe we made it--
It was so great to see you and Sarah!! I'm so glad you stopped by. We wish we could have shown you around Indy a little bit. Maybe next time!
Good luck with your new adventure! I can't wait to hear about it.
Yay for GPS! Once you've got one, you can never go back:)
Where, oh where, are you in Virginia? Anywhere near Burke? We'd love to have you over for dinner once you're all settled in.
what a trip! glad you made it all that way safely. enjoy your adventures out east! :)
Hi Heather, I found your blog on Lindsay's and clicked in on it. It was fun to read about your trip and what an adventure. I loved your goals and the favorite quotes. My love and blessing are with you. I think you are a beautiful young woman, inside and out. Always, GRANDMA VERDA
Post a Comment