Sunday, September 11, 2011

Connected

We are all connected! That's one reason I love geography and the gospel -- they teach some of the connections! :) We are all brothers and sisters no matter where we come from or what we do. I love the feeling of being connected to something bigger than myself and to those around me. Lately I've been thinking a lot about this:

* As I have been thinking about 9/11 quite a bit the last few days I have been reminded of how random it was who lived and who died...it had to do with where you sat at work, whether you were late or not, what flight you booked your ticket on. It's quite amazing! Some of these random people will be forever linked together. Really we are all connected. I found people walking around Washington D.C. last Friday being much more friendly than usual. Each person that we pass on the street or cross paths with is connected to us in some way. We share more than I think we realize or acknowledge sometimes.

* I love the song, "Each Life that Touches Ours for Good." I've been thinking about many people lately that have touched my life without them really knowing it. What if we were to share more often the gratitude we feel for those that touch our lives each day -- in big and small ways?

* No man is an island entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as wells as if a promontory were,
as well as a manor of they friends or of thine own were;
any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.
- John Donne

* Back to 9/11, how selfless and wonderful were those who (after knowing a little bit more about the horrific-ness of the situation) still rushed in to help? Many of the firemen that rushed in must have known they were going to die. Their selfless sacrifice because of a connection to others and desire to help is an inspiration and what life is all about. I realized today that we really do need to be ready to die at every moment. Our lives here on earth are temporary. We don't know how long we'll be here or what's coming next, but if we live our covenants and follow the example of Jesus Christ in ALL that we do -- the big and the small things every day -- we will be ready and that's all that matters. Why do we ever selfishly worry about ANYthing? A project at work that we need to get done when a person in front of us is concerned about something?

* I did some temple sealings a couple of weeks ago. So wonderful! That's the best way to be connected to loving family FOREVER! :)

* I have also been thinking a lot about family history work lately. Have you seen the NEW FamilySearch.org site? It's so neat! And wonderful to think about families being connected for generations. New technologies are helping to make research so much easier. It's so exciting. Just looking around a little bit made me feel like if I really got involved I'd be addicted to helping to solve the puzzle and find the connections. :)

* Jesus loves EVERYone. We can't get to heaven on our own! :) We need Him and we need each other! I am grateful for the connections in my life and know that real happiness comes as we keep our covenants and "are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light; and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places (Mosiah 18:8-9)."

3 comments:

Sarah Larsen said...

Thank you for always reminding of the big picture and what is most important.

Cari said...

i love that my life is connected to yours forever..whether you like it or not ;)

Sara said...

Me too! So grateful that you are a part of our eternal family unit. Actually, the world is blessed to have you as a part of the family of this earth! Thanks for taking the time to communicate these precious and often taken for-granted truths! We love you and wish we could spend more time with you. We really need to take a drive up to Washington D.C. soon! BTW...I love the music, can you send me a link so that I can have it in my office at school.