Sunday, August 5, 2012

Desires

So, I just might have too much time in life for reflection lately (if that's possible); thus all of the blog posts.  :)  I was talking to one of my best friends lately.  She knows that I like to reflect and I enjoy my quiet time to think.  As I was talking to her about some of my latest ponderings I realized I love to think, but then I love to share my thoughts.  Lately blogging is my outlet for sharing.  :)  I also realize this extra pondering time might be exactly what I need and could be one reason I was directed to my current location and experiences.

Today I have been reflecting on DESIRES.  That's where my study started in the morning and then it continued to be a theme throughout the day, which was really neat.  I LOVE this scripture that someone shared today, "Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.  Delight thyself in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass (Psalms 37:3-5)."

I have been thinking a lot about my greatest desires and goals and how to accomplish them.  It became clearer to me today that we must first identify them and pray to the Lord about them.  He will listen and help!     We must believe and then be "active" and "swift messengers" as Isaiah talks about in Isaiah 18.  We should enjoy where we are at, be willing and ready to sacrifice to serve the Lord and others, not limit ourselves by our inadequacies and then give the Lord the opportunity to bless us.

Some of my greatest desires are to lift others and help to change lives for the better, be better myself, be more selfless as I try to align my desires and passions with the needs of others and the Lord's plan for me, be prepared to be more spontaneous, be pure, follow the Spirit, understand my duty to others, be humble, and be kind.  After some of the things I've learned today I realize I need to clarify these desires further, create specific goals and work towards them while praying for the Lord's help and expecting those to be given as I delight in Him.

Elder Perry turned 90 today and there was a sweet article in the Church News about his life.  I'm grateful for his example of confidence and optimism.  He says, "I don't think I've ever had a bad day because I've learned something from every experience I have had.  I've never had a day that I didn't feel like getting out of bed and having an opportunity to accomplish something.'"  I am inspired by his words and I also desire to accomplish something everyday.  I know the Lord will bless us as we strive in righteousness.  :)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love your plan to Prepare to be more Spontaneous! :)
I guess it is a mindset you need to be aware of wanting to be huh?

Megan Morgan said...

Matt and I talked a lot about desires when we first started dating... it's no wonder, I guess, that we are where we are now;)