Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sacrifice

This post is an effort to sort out some recent thoughts and follow Elder Bednar's counsel to "noodle around" with the doctrines and principles of the gospel in an effort to learn and apply for myself.  :)  I just finished his book called Increase in Learning.  It is wonderful and teaches the important principle of learning the gospel for ourselves.  We must ask the questions, open the scriptures, pray and act on principles we come to understand.  There is a DVD that goes along with the book that includes a sweet interview with Elder and Sister Bednar.  I have so much to learn, but I know that's what this life is about and I'm excited to focus more on learning and being what the Lord would have me be.  There is so much JOY in learning, progressing, changing, applying the Atonement, gathering together in one His teachings and having this knowledge for ourselves!  Elder Bednar asks over and over again, "What doctrine, if understood, would change....[my life]?"

I think I need to better understand the doctrines of prayer, mission, passion, sacrifice, faith.

I like to know where I am and have an idea about where I'm going.  I think that's one reason I love maps so much.  Maps help me to visualize where I am and where I'm going, but recently I have been thinking about how God knows even better than I do exactly where I am.  :)  He knows our names, our needs, our desires.  I've thought about names on airline tickets and names of ancestors and individuals I'm doing temple work for.  Names on airline tickets must exactly match an ID in order to allow a traveler to board a plane without any problems.  Sometimes I don't know how to pronounce names of individuals I'm doing temple work for, but I know that God knows each of these people.  I've asked myself quite a bit lately where I should be, if I'm in the right place, what I should be doing, etc.  I know that He knows best.  We each have our own talents, desires, passions and things we want to accomplish.  I think these things are important and we shouldn't be afraid to be ourselves and do them--we've each come for "such a time as this" to share those talents and passions to bless and help others in a unique way.  For me, I think this means a few things:
  1. Know who I am and who I want to be.  I think there are a few things I'm still trying to figure out in some respects.  What kind of eggs do I like?  :)  (Have you seen Runaway Bride?  I really like to help others and find it pretty easy to put others' needs in front of my own most of the time, but I think that leaves me not really knowing who I am and what I like sometimes.  I may need to spend some time figuring that out.)  I like to travel, make others happy, serve, learn (about faith, change, leadership, nonprofits, making a difference for good, happiness, new cultures), teach, explore, think, read, write, exercise, talk about ideas, finish something, listen, love, work, feel free to come and go, enjoy family and close friends, and meet new people.  
  2. Once I know who I am I need to confidently be me.  :)  Even if that means changing some things.
  3. BE HAPPY!  There are two cute ladies I know--one is a greeter at Church and the other is a temple worker I see almost every week--who call me "the girl who's always smiling."  :)  It makes me happy to hear that and increases my desire to really be happy.  We choose to be happy.  I think it's only when we're happy that we are really able to connect with and help and love others.  :)  I want to be better at truly being happy, in order to make the difference I need to.
At the same time that we have these passions, desires, and goals we must keep them in proper perspective and in line with what God wants for us.  It's not just about our desires and passions.  Lately I have been thinking a little bit about sacrifice.  "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven."  We can't see and understand the whole picture, but have to have faith that God knows best....and follow His plan for us.  Sometimes that means doing things that don't make sense or that we don't want to do.  We must put the Lord first!  Here are some wonderful talks that teach the importance and purpose of sacrifice:
We have different opportunities to sacrifice for those we love--our God, our family, our country or those in need.  I have seen some very special examples of sacrifice lately that have increased my desire to understand and live this important principle of the gospel.  Sacrifice helps us remember what's really important.  It brings us closer to God.  We aren't asked to sacrifice animals anymore, but we should be offering God our broken heart and contrite spirit (see Psalms 51:17).

We should also make sacrifices and expect sacrifices of others that love us.  I read an interesting article about dating lately.  It pointed out that we should expect sacrifice of potential dates or companions.  I thought that was neat.  I don't think I'm generally someone that would do that.  I don't want to impose on others--to a fault!  I think it's part of being open and loving and being connected with others to expect them to love us enough that they would make sacrifices for us and our happiness.

Sacrifice helps us learn to love.  It helps us forget ourselves.  It brings blessings!

Those are some of my thoughts....there's more to learn and understand and much more to do, but in thinking about mission and moving forward in faith here are several other great pieces of inspiration.  :)

No comments: