Tonight I was inspired by good women – from different places and times.
I was at the temple and serving with many good sisters who could have been
doing many other things, but they were there and happy and kind and their faith
and commitment and love strengthened me. I noticed that a few of them were from
or had ancestry from far corners of the world – Latin America, Eastern Europe –
and it made me excited to know of the connection and faith and love we share. Others
were from my very own ward. It is nice to be known, but also to be
connected to those we don't know in such a meaningful and important way.
As we served together I felt Heavenly Father's love and was reminded how
true and wonderful His plan and work are! I also felt close to the sisters we
were doing the work for. I know it's important to them and their salvation and
progress.
I left to go directly to a Women
of Faith lecture about Julia and Emily Hill – sisters in their twenties who
traveled together across the plains with the Willie Handcart Company in 1856. Their
faithful examples and love and service to those around them were very sweet and
inspiring. Emily Hill was a gifted poet. She wrote a beautiful poem called Hunger and Cold about the handcart rescue and the words to the
song As Sisters in Zion:
As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.
The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.
How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.
I am grateful for the power and influence of good faithful women.
I am grateful for the power and influence of good faithful women.
No comments:
Post a Comment