I've said a few things about hearts here
before:
- Knowing Someone's Heart (Sept.
2012)
- It's All About our Hearts (Feb.
2010)
A couple of weeks ago, I was inspired by our Relief Society lesson from the life and teachings of
President Lorenzo Snow on a similar topic
and the scripture in Psalms 139:23-24: "Search me, O
God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there
be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
It's all about our hearts and our motivations
and our character and desires! Who are we really and is that who we
profess to be? I came across this talk from April 1998 by President James
E. Faust, Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart. It
is really neat and reminds us of the importance of living our covenants and
having moral courage, as well as humbly following the Lord and His will.
It reminds me of many of the things we have been taught recently about
the importance and peace of obedience.
The discussion we had in Relief Society also
reminded me about a book that I just read, Daring Greatly by
Brene Brown. It's all about being vulnerable and open to others. I
was thinking about how important it is to be honest and open with ourselves and
with God - not oversharing, but being ourselves and letting ourselves be seen,
not hiding from the world or from God.
I think there is great power and happiness in
being open and being ourselves, most importantly with the Lord. I know
that He loves and knows us (better than we know ourselves) and I find great
comfort in sharing the thoughts and feelings of my heart with Him. Then,
I think it is important to listen as he teaches us, corrects us, helps us,
guides us and "leads [us] in the way everlasting."
I think one of my very most favorite Mormon
Messages sums it up beautifully:
No comments:
Post a Comment