Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New Year - Pausing and Reflecting Together

Last night, as the world was pausing (or doing a "wave" as my mom says) for a few hours I got thinking about how unique it is that the the whole world really does pause for about 24 hours to sit and watch the clock....wherever they are, with their families and friends and whoever happens to be standing/sitting nearby.  It seems like these days there isn't enough that unite us.  My first thought was what a waste of time - millions of people just sitting waiting, but I realized and am grateful for the time to pause and reflect individually and collectively.  I think there is something really important about reflecting and them moving forward.

To finish the year I spent a few hours listening to some WONDERFUL musicians at the Tabernacle on Temple Square with a mix of people from the community.  I was inspired!  I was inspired by the music.  I was inspired by the people performing.  I was inspired by the people gathered to listen (I talked to a cute family from Melbourne, Australia and saw people from all walks of life enjoying the time together).  I was inspired by the thought of a new beginning.  I was inspired by this message on the back of the event program:
"There's something invigorating and inviting about new beginnings.  Like a fresh blanket of untouched snow, like a book full of empty pages, the new year lies before us, waiting for us to make our mark.  But before we start on the next chapter of our lives, we have more to write in the last few pages of this year's story.  We have songs to sing, talents to share, and music to enjoy with families, friends, and neighbors.  What better way to "ring out the old" and "ring in the new" than by spending the last few days of the year surrounded by loved ones in a spirit of optimism, unity, and celebration."
It's neat to be connected.  I wish there were more meaningful and productive opportunities that brought more of us together to share talents, to uplift, to inspire and do good!  But, I'm grateful for the reminder of the importance of pausing, reflecting and progressing forward....together.  :)

No comments: