Sunday, January 5, 2014

Motivated and Inspired

For some reason I've had a hard time being motivated lately and am lacking much inspiration at the start of this year.  I've been looking for a purpose or call to action.  I'm always inspired at Church.  Like someone said today, it doesn't matter what time church changes to - I'll be there because it's true!  :)  I'm glad I was there today.  I was inspired by many things, but four things in particular were a call to action for me:

1. I was inspired by a lesson about the importance of kindness based on the April 2005 talk by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, The Virtue of Kindness.  If you haven't read it in a while I highly recommend it.  It's wonderful and inspiring and what life is all about about!  I'm inspired to try to live this message every day this year!  Our discussion reminded me of another talk by Elder Wirthlin given just two years later entitled The Great Commandment.  You have to watch this one!!  Again the main point of his message is charity and love - and the Savior's love and tenderness is exemplified perfectly in so many ways in this talk.

2. Then you can't help but be inspired by the words and teachings of Moses 1 where Moses talks to the Lord face to face and learns he is a son of God just in time to be able to see through Satan's lies.  After overcoming Satan he learns more about God's mission for him.  I know that God is our Father, we are His children and He has a plan for us.  We are His glory.  He works to help us return to Him.

3. A comment someone made today solidified in my mind a topic I have been studying lately.  Our connections with each other are important - like the giant redwood trees whose roots go out and not down.  We need each other to be strong.  I just finished reading a wonderful book, The Belonging Heart.  The world teaches us to be independent and free by disregarding meaningful connections and relationships.  Sitting in Church today and thinking about the redwoods and the people I was listening to and learning from reminded me again of the importance of relationships and community in strengthening and lifting each other.

4. On a related note, I love singing!  I love singing with other people.  There is power in the words of the hymns that teach the principles of the gospel and Jesus Christ and particularly when we join together to sing no matter our musical ability.  I'm inspired by the people of my ward as we sing together.  There are many old people who have sung these songs for years.  They are not shy in their singing and it's wonderful!  Two weeks ago there was a special musical number to finish the meeting - the high priests sang Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.  It really touched me watching all these old men walk up to the front of the room and sing with gusto and tenderness.  It was probably even sweeter than watching the Primary children sing.  Today I was inspired by another song - Do What is Right:
Do what is right; let the consequence follow.Battle for freedom in spirit and might.....Do what is right; be faithful and fearless.Onward, press onward, the goal is in sight.
The words were the call to action I needed, but I was particularly inspired to listen to an experienced U.S. Senator sing right behind me with gusto.  We each have different opportunities to "battle for freedom" but that is what we're here to do....with faith and without fear!  The Lord will protect us as we do what is right.  :)

So, I guess my call to action can be summed up in these statements - be kind, know who you are, be connected and do what is right without fear!

No comments: