There are different reasons and situations where we need courage--courage to do what's right, courage to change, courage to do something new, courage to serve, courage to love, courage to continue. We're all courageous about different things. I have no problem getting on a TRAX train or really any kind of public transportation and exploring a new city on my own, but still run the other way at the thought of having to get a shot. :) Sometimes it's hard for me to have confidence that other people might want to get to know me or that I can make a difference somewhere--which might make me seem closed, quiet and shy; when in fact it's completely the opposite. Sometimes it takes the most courage to give, share and love others and really be ourselves. I think that's the kind of courage I'm looking for lately.
I probably had the most courage and confidence when I was a missionary, when I was teaching missionaries or when I was in school focusing on learning. Why is that? Maybe somewhat ironically, it was because of the added measure of humility, or a focus on others, knowledge that Someone was helping, and great hope in the future. So, how do I find that quiet confidence of yesteryear? I'm sure we all have days of great courage and days where we wish we could do all that we really wanted to without anything holding us back.
I think real confidence comes when we understand who we are, trust in God, let go of any fears and be ourselves (without worrying about what someone else thinks), follow the Spirit, reach out to others in kindness "never suppressing a generous thought." It can be uncomfortable sometimes to serve or follow promptings, but "perfect love casteth out all fear."
Here are a few things that have reminded me of the importance of courage, bravery and confidence:
- beautiful music - Courageously, Be Not Afraid, Strong and Courageous
- a cute movie - We Bought a Zoo
- a famous lion - Wizard of Oz
- modern day heroes - Afghan girls take brave first step
- wonderful BYU devotionals and words from President Monson:
- The Courage to Choose Wisely - Elder Stanley G. Ellis
- Fresh Courage Take - David A. Hunt
- For Such a Time as This - Barbara B. Smith
- A Brave Generation - Elder Walter F. Gonzalez
- May You Have Courage - President Thomas S. Monson
- neat examples from the scriptures:
- Esther understands that she has come to a place "for such a time as this" and courageously takes the opportunity to stand up a her people and righteousness.
- Nephi and his courage to obey in getting the plates, building a boat and follow the Lord.
- Helaman's 2000 stripling warriors who were "exceedingly valiant for courage" and "never had [Helaman] seen so great courage among all the Nephites"
- Mormon and Moroni were alone, but true to their mission and the Lord's work
- Joseph Smith courageously stands by his testimony of the events of the First Vision.
- words from the Lord:
- "When though goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the Lord thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt (Deuteronomy 20:1)."
- The Lord says to Joshua, "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest (Joshua 1:2-9)."
- "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord (Psalms 27:14)."
- "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord (Psalms 31:24)."
- "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)."
- The apostles "obey God rather than men" and seek to please Him.
- "Shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren, and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad (D&C 128:22)." The Lord's work will go forward (D&C 30:11, D&C 38:15, D&C 136:17) and so should we work to continue with Him! :)
3 comments:
you show great courage Heath - in doing right everyday
you are my hero heather! :)
I love the thought of never suppressing a generous thought! It helps our hearts stay wide open! <3 LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment