Sunday, January 12, 2014

Grandpa Morgan

I've been blessed with a wonderful family!  This week I am especially grateful for my Grandpa Morgan.  He passed away somewhat suddenly this week after over 84 years of diligent work and goodness.  It has been sweet the last few days to spend time with family and to think about all the ways he has blessed my life and many others.

Here are a few of my favorite memories of Grandpa:
  • mint chocolate chip ice cream
  • orange sherbet / vanilla twist
  • raisin bran
  • a car, garage, house, yard, and dishwasher that were always perfectly clean
  • reading the newspaper and knowing what's going on in the world
  • studying maps together
  • listening to him plan and report back on trips
  • watching slides together as a family
  • knowing where to buy the cheapest gas
  • carefully following the weather
  • watching golf
  • watching the sunset and playing in the yard together
  • little envelopes of money before trips, birthdays and just because
  • sharing memories of Korea and other stories from his life
  • many visits to Hawaii
  • patiently waiting for family members off on adventures that he helped facilitate

Some of the most important things he taught me include:
  • Do what you're supposed to do - be dependable, responsible, dedicated, diligent, consistent
  • Work hard and do the best you can; don't be lazy
  • Make time for family and relationships
  • Be frugal
  • Be humble
  • Quietly serve and help others
  • Love and pray for and teach and enjoy being with your family
  • Be generous
  • Be clean and organized
  • Be respectful
  • Be confident - look people in the eye
  • Travel and learn about people and places

He was not one who ever looked for the spotlight, but was always there quietly and diligently working very hard in the background to make sure everything got done just right and taking care of things.  We will all surely miss him here - those quiet acts of service are very apparent when they aren't done, but today as I was sitting in Church and someone was talking about family history work that we needed to do, it became very real to me to that there is work to do on both sides of the veil and I can't think of a more diligent and dedicated worker who I'm sure is there jumping right into learning what his new job will be in building the kingdom and keeping something organized and on track.  :)  I know he won't be sitting still.  :)  

I'm grateful for his life, his love, his example and my name that will always remind me of him and his ancestors.  I hope I can live up to his legacy of hard work, humility, and diligence.  I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation, temple ordinances, and the Atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ that makes it possible for us to be together again as a family forever.



3 comments:

Kathryn said...

A wonderful tribute to a hardworking man who totally and completely loves his grandkids <3

joyce said...

This is such a sweet tribute Heather...love you!! xo

Sarah Larsen said...

What a beautiful tribute, and great heritage.