Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Generous Thoughts

"Never suppress a generous thought."  I love this quote by Sister Camilla Kimball (as recounted in a story by Sister Bonnie Parkin in a February 2007 BYU Devotional, Personal Ministry). I think that is a real key to success and happiness in life and very related to following the Spirit and living with confidence and love.

I was thinking about that important principle today and it occurred to me that before we can act on (and not suppress) generous thoughts we need to have them to begin with! We can actively seek opportunities and build a character that looks for ways to be generous with our time, our talents, our love, our words, etc. Generous thoughts may seem to come more naturally to some, but I believe this is a talent each of us can and should work to cultivate.

What are generous thoughts?  Generous thoughts are kind, forgiving thoughts. They are loving, selfless, thoughtful deeds done to make someone else happy without the thought of receiving something in return. It's having a grateful heart. It's putting someone else and their concerns and needs and happiness above our own. It's dropping what you're doing to help someone else. It's not judging and being sure to give someone the benefit of the doubt. It's finding joy in others' success. It's knowing what's happening in someone's life - really knowing. It's beyond superficial. It's genuine. It's knowing what someone needs before they ask. It's a phone call, a letter, an impromptu visit. It's a smile, a compliment, an invitation. It's working to build and maintain relationships. It's a birthday greeting to a long-lost friend. It's being courageous enough to meet someone new. It's being humble and willing to help and willing to learn. It's constantly thinking outward.

How can we cultivate generous thoughts?  I think that we can cultivate this behavior and character by genuinely listening to others with the intent to care and love and serve and uplift and encourage and be a friend in everything that we do and everywhere that we go. I think we can become more generous thinkers by praying to see people the way the Lord sees them. I think we can become more generous by always speaking positively.

I think we will have more opportunities to "not suppress" generous thoughts when we are living worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost in our lives and following the light of Christ. He teaches us to do good continually (see Mosiah 5:2 and Moroni 7:12-13). I want to be better at seeking an attitude and character of generous thinking in my life! What do you do to cultivate generous thoughts in your life?

No comments: