Friday my heart sank the moment I saw the headline that over 20 people
were dead at an elementary school in Connecticut. I couldn't
believe how sad and horrible. This weekend I couldn't stop thinking about the
precious children and their families and the brave teachers who faced evil with
courage and sacrifice. This was such an awful tragedy, but I have been touched
by some of the loving responses, examples of forgiveness, strong faith,
combined prayers and other service rendered.
How can we have hope today with horrible things going on all around us? What do we have hope in and hope for? We can hope for a better world (see Ether 12:4) and eternal life (see Moroni 7:41 and 2 Nephi 31:20) because of Jesus Christ!
Friday night I got to listen to the Mormon
Tabernacle Choir's Christmas Concert. It's always wonderful to hear them, but I
thought that the presentation was especially appropriate and sweet as a comfort after the morning's sorrow. There were the usual fun and beautiful Christmas songs, but
especially poignant were Alfie Boe's presentation of "Bring Him Home"
from Les Miserables and Tom Brokaw's
tribute to Gail Halvorsen, the "candy bomber," who was touched by the
sharing example of the children in Germany during the Christmas of 1948. He
wanted to share more with them and organized many others to help him drop candy from
the sky to children all over Berlin. What a sweet example of sharing goodness
and hope in a world that is dark and scary. Hal didn't wait for anyone to tell
him to do something to help the children. He just did it and many others came
together to support his efforts. This is what it's all about – creatively
bringing hope and joy to others wherever and however we can!
I just started reading Gerald Lund's book,
Look Up, My Soul, all about hope. It's a wonderful reminder of the importance of hope in our lives, along with faith and charity. Hope is a choice and we can have hope because of Jesus Christ. I think it is so fitting that there was an article in the December issue of the Friend, The
Light of the World,
that is all about the hope and light that Jesus Christ brings to the world,
specifically to children in a time of loss and sadness. I have been
touched by the power of a community coming together in love and unity to mourn with those
that mourn.
I love this sweet picture and poem that
was passed around on Facebook:
twas' 11
days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they
remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."
Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."
Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA
Hopefully we will each work harder to
remember Him and keep Him as the light and share that light! All of these
events remind me of the importance of Christ in our lives – he gives hope and
peace, even and especially in times of great sorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment