Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Spontaneous Service and LOVE

I was blessed tonight by the sweet example and love of strangers.  It's been many months since I went to an institute class.  I love institute.  I love studying the scriptures with others.  I haven't been able to find a place to go to institute in Salt Lake.  I know, ironic, huh?  :)

Well, I finally made it to institute tonight back where I used to go about 5 years ago.  Obviously it was all totally different people - no one I knew, but at least a place I knew well.  It's hard to walk into a place like that by yourself sometimes....when you don't know anyone.  I walked in a few minutes late.  I watched a lot of people walk out of the building as I was walking in....they were all carrying roses.  I was wondering if I got the time wrong and had missed class.

As soon as I got inside and walked around the corner a girl coming towards me said, "Are you just getting to institute?  Do you want to come with us?  We're going out for an activity for class tonight.  Come with us.  We're delivering roses to people to brighten their day."  I said okay and followed three complete strangers to their car and we drove around, prayed together for guidance and delivered roses to people to brighten their day.  I've done this kind of activity several times in my life.  This is a typical Mormon activity.  But I don't think it's ever had such significance in my life as it did tonight with complete strangers who were very loving examples.

I don't know that that cute girl will ever know how much it meant to me that she was so inclusive and inviting and kind to me - someone she had never seen before in her life.  It meant more than a rose.  :)  I was a recipient of the spirit of love they were trying to share tonight.

Christmas is all about spontaneous and consistent and selfless service and love!  I'm grateful for this sweet example and reminder tonight...a symbol of Christ's love.  Christ gave His love freely to all.  That's what I felt tonight and what I want to share with others as well.

As President Monson taught at the Christmas Devotional on Sunday night, "True love is a reflection of the Savior's love."  I'm glad I went to institute.  I learned a lot and want to be better.  :)

1 comment:

Brittney said...

hey Heather, which institute was that? I was going to go do that Wednesday night with my institute!
Brittney Kunzler
P.S. yes I do read your blog and I find it very uplifting! thanks!