Sunday, December 9, 2012

Strangers

I found myself on a very crowded train and among many strangers wandering around the city on Saturday.  I really like public transportation and the chance to meet and watch and learn from others, even just in passing.  Christmas is a time when we all feel a little bit more connected, I think, even in the busy and crowded bustle of the season.

I was reminded of a quote from A Christmas Carol today.  Scrooge’s nephew Fred describes Christmas as “a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people [around] them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.”  I like this idea and reminder that we are all fellow-passengers.  

We are reminded that Mary and Joseph came to an inn, looking for a place among strangers to stay.  A stranger had compassion and helped them find a place on a very special night.  I think there is something important about opening our hearts and making room for others, recognizing and loving and knowing those around us, and seeing them as fellow-passengers.

No comments: